Friday, July 11, 2014

Giving God the Pieces of My Whole Heart



Have you ever had one of those moments that inspires you to do something out of the norm? If you know me, you're probably thinking, 'you always do stuff out of the norm'. While there is some truth to that, sometimes 'out of the norm' becomes your normal, and you find that you need to get back to the basics - the foundations of your faith, if you will.

This past week, my church's Associate Pastor began a series of teachings about reconnecting with God through the spiritual disciplines. Okay, discipline sounds a little harsh and regimented, and to be perfectly honest, discipline is not my middle name. The teaching has struck a chord with me, though, and I'm definitely looking forward to what the next few weeks hold. The series is called, Whole Heart. By giving our whole hearts to God, what can he do in us and through us?

For each person on the journey, it means something different. That is what strikes me about the fullness and awesomeness of our Creator. He has created us each for something different - a purpose beyond anything we could possibly imagine. Does he deserve anything less than our whole hearts?

During this week's Whole Heart workshop, participants were encouraged to explore different spiritual practices - bringing our hearts as a daily sacrifice to the Lord. That inspired me to think outside of my "God Box" - to think of those things I always wanted to do, but had never stepped out firmly on the path to explore. And that encouraged me to blow the virtual dust off this blog and start writing again - recording this journey of offering the pieces of my heart to God so that he may make it whole as only he can do.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." - Psalm 51:10


No comments:

Post a Comment