Thursday, February 23, 2012

40 Days of Musings During Lent

Day One

Welcome! This blog is my little space on the web to record my musings during the 40 days of Lent. For many, Lent is a mystery. Having spent most of my life in a denomination that does not observe Lent, I find it's purpose to examine ourselves and draw nearer to God to be gritty and beautiful all at the same time.

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of the season of Lent. It's weird to say, but I enjoy Lent. I find it refreshing. Part of me enjoys the stripping away of the distractions of my human nature and of the world around me as an opportunity grow deeper in my faith.

99% of the year I'm a horrible United Methodist. (Let's face it, the structure drives me bonkers. It's probably the rebellious side of me writing that.) Of the sacraments of the church, the idea of Ash Wednesday speaks to me. "From dust you came, and to dust you shall return." It's a reminder that life is fragile - that we came from a humble beginning and we'll go to a humble end. Whatever happens in the middle, life begins and ends the same no matter who we are.

This year I've been asked quite a bit about what I will be giving up for Lent. A few years ago it was reading celebrity gossip. Last year it was television. This year it will be a little different. I'm giving up something that isn't tangible, but that's for another post. I want to grow to be a better person in my faith. For me, Lent is as much about what you add to your life as what you take away. Whatever you take away, be sure to fill that space with something better - prayer, contemplation, studying God's Word - whatever.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." - Psalm 51:10

Blessings!





No comments:

Post a Comment