Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Inside Out

Day 5 -

The other day I was looking in the mirror. I was getting ready for an event where there was a slim chance that I might run into some people that I've had difficulties with in the past. I'll spare you the details of those difficulties. I haven't seen these people in nearly a decade, but I'm still related to them which exacerbates the difficulty on occasion. Onward with the story...So I was looking in the mirror, and 98% of the time I could care less what people think of me or how they think I look. As I was staring in the mirror, I began to have thoughts about what if so-an-so was at this event. What would they think of me after all this time? What would I look like in their eyes? How would I react? Suddenly, I heard the voice of the Lord telling me, "You can only be who you are." That is so true. I can only be who I am. No amount of make up or clothing will cover up who I really am on the inside. God sees us from the inside out. He sees our true heart condition.

When Adam and Eve ate fruit from the tree God had warned them of, they tried to cover up what they had done because they knew it was wrong. They tried covering themselves with fig leaves. They even tried hiding from God. Everything they attempted to do to hide their shame only pointed even more to what they had done.
We cannot fool God. The enemy tries to make us believe that it's all about what we can do - how we can look - how we can control the situation, but the truth is we can do none of that.

I did not see the people I feared running into at this event, after all. I'm thankful that the Lord reminded me that I am His, and that what matters most is what He sees in me.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." - Psalm 139:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment