Sunday, March 11, 2012

Feeding the Machine?

Day Fifteen/Sixteen -

It's been a hectic weekend full of concerts.

As we were driving to a concert on Friday evening, something kind of popped into my head; I wondered if  "Christianity" as an establishment has become lazy. I live within 20 miles of probably 10 of the largest churches in the state, if not the country. Each of them have these massive buildings. My thought is: are they necessary? Are we more concerned with drawing people into buildings than preparing them to be sent out into the world? Have we gotten stuck in the proverbial rut of being church-centric - going to church on Sundays to be entertained by the hottest worship team and hearing the 'it' pastor with the latest book? Are we being the church from the safety of our trendy four walls? Sure we're sharing Jesus. Sure we're all about social justice somewhere else - half way around the world. But what about ten feet out of our parking lot? Are we being Jesus to the people we pass on our way to church, or are we so concerned with getting there - like a moth attracted to a flame? 

Don't get me wrong. I'm really not trying to hate on large churches - or "organized" religion. I think that they do very positive work, and if they are doing the work the Lord has called them to do, that is all that counts. Lately, I've just been wondering where I fit in this "establishment". It feels almost oppressive - lacking Spirit to me. Maybe it's my rebellious nature. Maybe it's something else. I don't know. I don't feel like I fit. I get tired of the "3 songs - 3 points and a story/joke - a prayer or two - and reciting the same things" model. It makes me think of the song - Feed the Machine by Red. While I'm sure it's not the meaning intended behind the lyrics, it keeps coming to mind when I hear the song. Am I just feeding the machine?

It's what I've been wondering...

"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ." - Colossians 2:8

Feed the Machine by Red

Blessings!



No comments:

Post a Comment