Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hope Blooms

Day Thirteen -

As I've mentioned before, gardening is one of the most spiritual activities for me. I see God's wonders and creation in a whole new light. This is a picture of a peach tree planted in the community garden last year, just before the most brutal summer on record in Texas. This poor little tree battled through the oppressive heat of the summer, trying to hang on to each one of it's few leaves. Last weekend, as we prepared the garden for spring, almost everyone had concluded that this tree had been a casualty of the summer heat, and that we would need to remove it from the garden. So imagine my surprise and excitement when I walked through the garden this morning and found these beautiful blooms. Just when we were about to give up on this tree, new life appeared. 

I think this is a wonderful example of how God works. We go through battles and tests of varying degrees, and then he comes and breathes new life into us. He replenishes and refreshes our souls. Though we may be battle-weary, His spirit in us is what makes us a new and beautiful creation. 

This picture gives me hope. It makes me not want to give into the temptation to give up. Even though I may be experiencing difficulties, I trust that the Lord is using those trials to bring about something beautiful. Everything happens in God's right timing.

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." - Isaiah 55:10-11

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment