Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Signs of Life

Day Seventeen -

A few days ago, I posted a picture of a peach tree blooming in the community garden. On the other side of the garden is another peach tree. This one was in terrible shape. It, too, had been a victim of last year's brutal summer heat - possibly even more so than the tree that has already bloomed. There seemed to be no hope for this little peach tree, and would have most likely been dug up at our next garden work day.

Today, as I was walking through the garden during a break from a hectic day of work, I simply prayed, 'Please Lord, show me some sign that this tree is still alive'. Now, I know some people might think it's a little bizarre to pray for a tree. But just like the blooms on the other tree gave me some hope, I was really in need of some hope - a visible, tangible sign of God's enduring hope. I looked at the tree closely - the bark was dry and some of the tiny branches had broken from wind - but then I saw the most miraculous thing. I saw tiny green shoots coming through the dry branches of the tree. These shoots were so tiny, I could barely see them. I tried to take a picture, but they weren't visible. Those tiny green shoots were a beautiful sight. They were a sign of life.

I truly needed that. I needed something positive - something hopeful. Last week was tough. I felt like I had been through the ringer, so to speak, but something about this little peach tree's tiny blooms resonated with me. No matter how weary or confused I may have been feeling, I needed to have faith and trust the Lord to carry me through the desert places. It also taught me not to discount things before truly giving them a chance - be that my own gifts and talents or those of others. Most of the gardeners were ready to remove that tree from the garden two weeks ago. If we had, we would removed a living tree. Don't give up! God can do mighty things with a tiny spark of life. He knows the perfect timing for things. No matter how hard I may try to "make things happen", the truth is, they can only happen in his perfect time.

"And the Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground - trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food." - Genesis 2:9a

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment