Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Nurturing Faith

Day Twenty-Eight -

Have you ever seen a mustard seed? Today I was planting mustard seeds in the garden, and I was amazed at how tiny they are. I couldn't help but wonder, if faith the size of a mustard seed can move a mountain, what has my faith been doing? Is my faith moving mountains? Is it doing anything to further the kingdom of God? Do I really believe that faith - my faith - can do this?

On some level, I understand how the disciples were feeling in Matthew 17. They were confused. They came to Jesus and quietly asked him why they had not been able to drive the demon out of the boy. Knowing and believing are two different things. Knowing they were in the presence of the Messiah - God's son - and believing it were obviously not quite clicking. Believing that they, as Christ's disciples, had authority to drive out the demon in this boy in the name of Jesus was a thought that was likely still beyond their faith.

My faith may not be moving physical mountains...yet...but it is doing something. It is growing and changing every moment. It is knowing and believing that God has a plan, and that somehow he has made me a part of this plan. Like any seed that has been planted, it has to be nurtured so it can grow into something useful and beautiful.

For me, faith is believing that "unreasonable" things are possible, and knowing that I serve a God who is faithful to his word and can make the ordinary extraordinary.

"He replied, 'Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." - Matthew 17:20

Blessings!




No comments:

Post a Comment